Wednesday, December 26, 2012

a rockin' good time

I hope your holiday was full of joy and wonderful family times... My kiddos and I had a great time opening gifts and I spent a quite afternoon watching them play with all their new toys... Legos were at the top of their wish lists and its great to see them use their imaginations. And my hands are sore from the hundreds of twisted up ties that are used to hold down one simple lalaloopsy doll!! 

Now onto some furniture... 
I went to a barn sale late this past summer. It was a dark dusty barn full of beautiful antiques!! It was hard not want to buy the whole thing! The man who had lived there had passed and his niece was selling off the contents. He was in his 90's and had refinished/repaired furniture his whole life! I was able to get loads of old drawer pulls, table legs, several decorative bits and pieces as well as a beautiful old mirror. There were bins and stacks of furniture pieces and parts and ALL were antique and ornate! Like I said, it was hard not to buy it all!
As I wound my way through the barn this little gem really caught my eye... 

The details on this chair were absolutely stunning!! It was ALL hand carved and hand made with a tremendous amount of time and care! The seat in the photo did not go to the chair and was just sitting on it when I bought it... I had a thick piece of oak cut to make the seat.

It was absolutely filthy and after I got it home and began to clean it up I found that it had TAR all over the one arm and down the front!

That tar took a great deal of time and elbow grease to chisel off!
Next was to deal with the bits of upholstery that were left...
It was tufted leather and would completely crumble when you touched it... After pulling it all off I had 10,000 nails and staples to pull out - And that's only a slight exaggeration, believe me!

I neglected to take any "during" photos - need to work on that!!
I painted it Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in French Linen and accented the detailed carvings with Old White. Lots of clear and dark wax as well as some new drop cloth upholstery gave this rocker a new lease on life...
I sold it at the Rural Society Antique and Garden show to an expecting mom who was going to use it in her nursery!
It is so nice to know a piece I put so much time and energy into will be rocking a sweet baby to sleep...

I wish you a very happy and warm new year, full of joy, happiness and success!!
 

2 comments:

Post a Comment