Sunday, October 3, 2010

Bet you never thought to pick HERE...

I was taking my aluminum cans to the metal recycling place a few weeks ago - you know the places - lots of piles of metal, big machines and you leave with a check for $3.87 for a van full of pop cans....

ANYWAY...

As I was waiting for them to print off my check I looked around and realized I was surrounded by amazing rusty JUNK!

WHY hadn't I thought of it before??!! The office lady came back and I put on my sweetest smile and asked if they ever sold any of the metal BACK to people...
And she said yes, we sell it at a rate of .50 cents/lbs....

She was in a big hurry so I left it at that. The next week I went back to inquire a little more. I really wanted to look around this place but there are HUGE cranes and bulldozers working everywhere. The owner told me that I could look around if I came first thing in the morning before all the equipment operators came in. So the next day I put on my boots and gloves and dug through this...



He was a little leary of letting me climb around the MOUNTAINS of metal, but I assured him I'd be careful!
 They had piles for steel and aluminum.
 But the cast iron was my favorite!

 So rusty and perfectly aged by being out in the elements...
Lots of cast iron bathtubs!


This is one of the things I did buy...
Old rusty cast iron gears. At .50 cent/lbs. I got two smaller ones and one very large one for $10!
I also found something else very special that I'm going to save for another post...
So next time you're searching for some good rusty junk... head to the metal recyling plant!

3 comments:

Post a Comment